FAQ
Log In
Friday 9th December 2016
News
 › 
 › 

BMA's claims rejected by government

3rd September 2012

The government has not accepted the views of the British Medical Association which state that the health service is endangering the public's health by offering a reduced number of drugs and operations.

bedscorridor1

The BMA's council chairman, Dr Mark Porter, told The Guardian that concerns about patient safety was now "a realistic concern".

He told the paper that the health service's financial problems - including needing to make £20 billion of savings by 2015 - meant that it no longer provided a "comprehensive" service.

Dr Porter said: "You see it happening in examples now, but it's when it becomes service-wide in a few years' time - if the current policies continue - that the population will notice in the wider sense."

He added: "We can see the effect on people to whom we have to say 'I'm sorry, this treatment is no longer available'." 

However, a Department of Health spokesperson stated that local health trusts who prevented patients from receiving care because of the cost would have action taken against them.

He added: "Last year we made it clear that it is unacceptable for the NHS to impose blanket bans for treatment on the basis of costs. That is why we banned PCTs from putting caps on the number of people who could have certain operations. 

 

Share this page

Comments

There are no comments for this article, be the first to comment!


Post your comment

Only registered users can comment. Fill in your e-mail address for quick registration.

Your email address:

Your comment will be checked by a Healthcare Today moderator before it is published on the site.

Article Information

Title: BMA's claims rejected by government
Author: Jess Laurence
Article Id: 22630
Date Added: 3rd Sep 2012

Sources

BBC News

Actions

Add to scrapbook
Show Comments
Add comment
Find all related articles

Tags

Mayden - Innovative cloud-based web development for the healthcare sector
© Mayden Foundation 2016