Log In
Monday 24th October 2016

C diff death inquiry

4th June 2008

Calls have been made for an inquiry into the deaths of seven people from a superbug infection at a Welsh hospital.


They were among at least 33 affected with Clostridium difficile died during an outbreak at the Prince Charles Hospital, Merthyr Tydfil earlier this year.

There have also been four recent C diff deaths at the Princess of Wales hospital at Bridgend and two at the Royal Glamorgan.

Cwm Taf NHS Trust confirmed there was an outbreak at the Prince Charles Hospital and says a "deep clean" has been carried out.

The trust said a number of actions were put in place as a result of the outbreak which included: daily monitoring of all cases of diarrhoea and vomiting; all new C diff positive results to be communicated to the wards and the infection control team immediately; patients moved to side rooms and barrier nursed; and C diff information leaflets were given to patients.

However, after relatives of those who died raised concerns, there have been calls for an independent inquiry.

Jonathan Morgan AM, chair of the Welsh assembly’s health committee, said the investigation should be independent and he wants Auditor General for Wales, Jeremy Colman, to conduct it.

He added: "I think that if the public of Wales is to have confidence in their hospitals and the ability of nurses and the cleaning services to keep hospitals clean to prevent the spread of infection then we need an enquiry in to what happened at Prince Charles and to ensure that we have the best procedures throughout Wales."


Share this page


There are no comments for this article, be the first to comment!

Post your comment

Only registered users can comment. Fill in your e-mail address for quick registration.

Your email address:

Your comment will be checked by a Healthcare Today moderator before it is published on the site.

Mayden - Innovative cloud-based web development for the healthcare sector
© Mayden Foundation 2016