FAQ
Log In
Saturday 10th December 2016
News
 › 
 › 

Child dies of E coli infection in Glasgow

14th August 2012

NHS Ayrshire and Arran has confirmed that an eight-year-old child has died after contracting an E coli infection.

Bacteria

Dr Jane Cooper, a consultant in public health medicine, sent her sympathies to the child's relatives.

She added: "Sometimes it is possible to identify a particular source of E coli O157 infection."

"An outbreak may occur if a number of people are exposed to the same source. NHS Ayrshire and Arran is satisfied that this case is not part of an outbreak, and has not identified a particular source which might represent a risk to others.

"E coli 0157 infection is very easily picked up and sometimes investigations cannot identify either a particular source, or any way in which the risk of infection could have been avoided." 

The symptoms of the infection usually appear after a person eats food contaminated with the bacteria or comes into contact with an animal carrying E coli.

Symptoms of the infection include diarrhoea, vomiting and a fever. The trust said washing hands after handling raw foods or animal excrement could lessen the danger of infection.

 

Share this page

Comments

There are no comments for this article, be the first to comment!


Post your comment

Only registered users can comment. Fill in your e-mail address for quick registration.

Your email address:

Your comment will be checked by a Healthcare Today moderator before it is published on the site.

M3 - For secure managed hosting over N3 or internet
© Mayden Foundation 2016