FAQ
Log In
Thursday 24th July 2014
News
 › 
 › 

DIY abortion danger

11th February 2013

The Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has warned that women who buy abortion pills online could be putting themselves in danger.

PillPacket1

The MHRA, the government's health regulator, said there was no way to know exactly what the pills contained if they did not come from a recognised source.

The BBC's Newsbeat used a drug testing laboratory to analyse three pills bought on the internet, which were sent out without asking for any medical information or other details.

The lab's analysis found out that the pills mainly contained paracetamol.

Heidi Wright from the Royal Pharmaceutical Society says it is worrying: "We are very concerned, firstly the abortion pill shouldn't be available online anyway."

"The main problem is if you are taking other products which are paracetamol then you could be overdosing on that." 

The Family Planning Association said it had heard of women in Northern Ireland - where it is not legal to have an abortion unless the pregnancy poses a risk to the woman's life - buying the pills online.

A woman from Belfast told the BBC that she bought pills from a website because it was less expensive than travelling to England for an abortion.

She said the experience was "traumatic", and reported that she started bleeding and vomiting after taking the pills. 

Goretti Horgan from the Alliance for Choice group said: "We find more and more that actually among the women we come across, we can't find anybody who has travelled any more because they have all used internet abortion pills."

Share this page

Comments

There are no comments for this article, be the first to comment!


Post your comment

Only registered users can comment. Fill in your e-mail address for quick registration.

Your email address:

Your comment will be checked by a Healthcare Today moderator before it is published on the site.

Article Information

Title: DIY abortion danger
Author: Jess Laurence
Article Id: 23713
Date Added: 11th Feb 2013

Sources

BBC News

Recent Related Articles

Third-hand smoke dangers

Actions

Add to scrapbook
Show Comments
Add comment
Find all related articles

Tags

Mayden - Innovative cloud-based web development for the healthcare sector
© Mayden Foundation 2014