FAQ
Log In
Monday 5th December 2016
News
 › 
 › 

Do you know how to treat anaphylactic shock?

27th July 2011

New research has warned that the majority of mothers do not know what to do if their child suffers a severe allergic reaction to a wasp sting.

Some 76% would not know how to treat anaphylactic shock if their child experienced it, while 66% worry about the threat posed by wasps during the warm summer months.

The survey was carried out by pest control firm Rentokil.

It found that 82% of the 500 mums surveyed would avoid wasp areas to keep their children out of danger.

If a child does suffer an anaphylactic shock, the Anaphylaxis Campaign advises parents to call 999 immediately, keep the child calm, lie the patient down with their feet raised to increase blood flow to the head and put them into the recovery position until an ambulance arrives.

Dr Shuaib Nasser, Consultant in Allergy, Addenbrookes NHS Trust Hospital, Cambridge and member of The Anaphylaxis Campaign Clinical and Scientific Advisory Panel said: “While just 0.5% of the population suffers an acute allergic reaction to wasp stings, we always advise simple precautions to minimize any risks.

“If you or your children suffer a severe allergic reaction after a bee or wasp sting it is important to seek medical help immediately and then ask your GP to refer you to an Allergy Specialist.”

Rentokil spokesperson Savvas Othon said: “As a parent, I understand why wasps make people nervous as they can be unpredictable. The trick is to avoid staying in areas where wasps may cluster such as around ice cream vans or rubbish bins in picnic areas.”

 

Share this page

Comments

There are no comments for this article, be the first to comment!


Post your comment

Only registered users can comment. Fill in your e-mail address for quick registration.

Your email address:

Your comment will be checked by a Healthcare Today moderator before it is published on the site.

M3 - For secure managed hosting over N3 or internet
© Mayden Foundation 2016