E coli outbreak in Belfast15th October 2012
Tests are to be carried out on 42 members of the public after an outbreak of E coli, which has been connected to the Flicks restaurant in Belfast.
The Public Health Agency confirmed that 42 people had contacted their GP to report their symptoms and 11 cases had already been reported.
Over the weekend the PHA said people who had dined at the restaurant from 24 September onwards and had experienced symptoms such as stomach pain, vomiting or diarrhoea should get in touch with their doctor as soon as possible.
Dr Michael Devine from the PHA said: "In response to the public information put out on Saturday and yesterday we have identified a further 42 people who require further investigation."
"At this stage I should stress they don't have positive laboratory results but obviously we will be following that up today [Monday]."
The first case of the bug was discovered on 9 October, followed by a second on 11 October, after which the restaurant on York Street closed.
Dr Devine warned that the symptoms could last 14 days and added: "At this stage it seems to be mainly adults involved, but obviously our investigations are ongoing and it may be that children have been affected."
The restaurant said in a statement: "We are fully co-operating with the Public Health Agency's investigation into a recent E coli outbreak. As soon as they contacted us regarding the investigation we immediately closed the restaurant."
"We will continue to assist the PHA in finding the source of this outbreak."
Share this page
There are no comments for this article, be the first to comment!
Post your comment
Only registered users can comment. Fill in your e-mail address for quick registration.
Title: E coli outbreak in Belfast
Author: Jess Laurence
Article Id: 22941
Date Added: 15th Oct 2012