FAQ
Log In
Wednesday 7th December 2016
News
 › 
 › 

E coli outbreak

14th August 2007

An outbreak of E.coli has caused the death of a 66-year old woman in Paisley, Renfrewshire.

GreenCell1

The woman's 72-year-old husband and five more people in the same area have been given treatment for the E coli 0157 strain.

The woman, who was disabled, died on Monday morning in the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley. Her husband, described as "seriously ill", is being treated in Glasgow. Morrisons said they were "deeply saddened" about the death and the outbreak.

NHS representatives have linked the source of the outbreak to cold meat purchased from two Morrisons in Lonend and Falside Road. The company said they had removed the meat "as a precautionary measure" from sale at the two stores.

The store said that any customer who had purchased cold meat products from the stores should not eat them. They also confirmed that no other stores were affected by the outbreak.

E coli 0157 is usually contracted from eating infected food or drink products. The bug can incubate in the body from around one day to two weeks.

Dr Syed Ahmed, head of the outbreak control team, said they had "moved very swiftly last night to alert the public to take the precautionary action of not consuming the food identified."

He said the supermarket was helping his team with their investigation.



Share this page

Comments

There are no comments for this article, be the first to comment!


Post your comment

Only registered users can comment. Fill in your e-mail address for quick registration.

Your email address:

Your comment will be checked by a Healthcare Today moderator before it is published on the site.

Mayden - Innovative cloud-based web development for the healthcare sector
© Mayden Foundation 2016