Foundation trust sector continues to grow2nd May 2008
Monitor, the independent regulator for NHS foundation trusts confirmed the following foundation trusts will be authorised from today 1 May 2008:
- Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust (formerly Essex Rivers NHS Trust)
- Surrey and Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
The announcement means there are 96 NHS foundation trusts in total, of which 24 are mental health NHS foundation trusts.
Having achieved NHS foundation trust status these trusts will benefit from a variety of new freedoms:
- they are free from central government control and are able to decide how to improve their services;
- they can retain any surpluses they generate to invest in new services, and can borrow money to support these investments; and
- they are accountable to their local communities; local people can become members and governors.
Share this page
There are no comments for this article, be the first to comment!
Post your comment
Only registered users can comment. Fill in your e-mail address for quick registration.
Title: Foundation trust sector continues to grow
Author: Martine Hamilton
Article Id: 6617
Date Added: 2nd May 2008