Foundation trust sector reaches 992nd June 2008
Monitor, the independent regulator of NHS foundation trusts confirmed the following foundation trusts will be authorised from Sunday 1 June 2008:
- Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust;
- North East London NHS Foundation Trust; and
- United Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust.
The announcement means there are 99 NHS foundation trusts in total, of which 26 are mental health NHS foundation trusts.
Having achieved NHS foundation trust status these trusts will benefit from a variety of new freedoms:
- they are free from central government control and are able to decide how to improve their services;
- they can retain any surpluses they generate to invest in new services, and can borrow money to support these investments; and
- they are accountable to their local communities; local people can become members and governors.
Share this page
There are no comments for this article, be the first to comment!
Post your comment
Only registered users can comment. Fill in your e-mail address for quick registration.
Title: Foundation trust sector reaches 99
Author: Martine Hamilton
Article Id: 6968
Date Added: 2nd Jun 2008