FAQ
Log In
Friday 2nd December 2016
News
 › 
 › 

Gas cylinder sparks fire at Great Ormond Street

30th September 2008

Anaesthetised children who were about to have operations were among the patients evacuated from Great Ormond Street hospital yesterday after a fire and explosion.

The hospital's chief executive Dr. Jane Collins said the incident, which is thought to have involved a gas cylinder, ahppened in the cardiac wing of the London children's hospital. No-one was believed to have been injured.

Dr Collins said: "There was a fire in our cardiac block this morning that seemed to have led to an explosion, probably that of a medical gas cylinder.

"We obiously put our major incident plan into action very quickly and evacuated all the patients and staff from that block.

"As far as I know at the moment, there have been no injuries to any patients, parents or staff member.

"This incident may mean our cardiac wing may have to remain closed for a while."

Share this page

Comments

There are no comments for this article, be the first to comment!


Post your comment

Only registered users can comment. Fill in your e-mail address for quick registration.

Your email address:

Your comment will be checked by a Healthcare Today moderator before it is published on the site.

Article Information

Title: Gas cylinder sparks fire at Great Ormond Street
Author: Anne Waller
Article Id: 8568
Date Added: 30th Sep 2008

Sources

Birmingham Post

Recent Related Articles

High Street pharmacies could face closure

Actions

Add to scrapbook
Show Comments
Add comment
Find all related articles

Tags

Mayden - Innovative cloud-based web development for the healthcare sector
© Mayden Foundation 2016