Green light for £72m rebuild of Lister Hospital in Stevenage5th August 2011
Health Secretary Andrew Lansley today gave the go ahead for a £72 million redevelopment of the Lister Hospital in Stevenage that will see it become the main emergency and inpatient hospital for east and north Hertfordshire.
It will be the largest health-related capital project in the East of England and create a critical mass of clinical and specialist staff on one site, and forms part of local plans to treat more people in the community rather than in hospital.
The scheme includes:
- A new extension to the emergency department and refurbishment of the existing department to deliver enlarged resuscitation and trauma area, an eight-bed clinical decision unit, a CT scanner, an upgraded paediatric area and a 24-hour urgent care centre integrated with the Out of Hours GP service
- A new ward block containing 14 assessment trolley spaces and 62 beds (coronary care, medical high dependency unit, medical assessment and medical beds), of which 38 will be single-patient rooms
- A new theatre and endoscopy block including two day surgery theatres, two laminar flow theatres and four endoscopy rooms.
- The hospital tower building will be refurbished to provide 78 additional beds
- The critical care unit will be increased from 12 to 20 beds
Health Secretary Andrew Lansley said:
“I am thrilled to announce the redevelopment of Lister Hospital. It’s great news for patients, staff, and the community. This funding will ensure that the Trust has modern buildings that are fit for purpose and will help the trust deliver even better care in a more efficient way. It will also help it achieve its ambition to become a foundation trust in the near future.
“The urgent need for this project has been apparent for many years now and I applaud the hard work of those who have brought us to this point. This is the fourth and final phase of the reconfiguration of services in east and north Hertfordshire and it will help deliver high quality and sustainable care for patients for many years to come.”
Welcoming the announcement, the Trust’s chairman, Richard Beazley, said:
“This is an exciting day for the Trust as we move to create one of the best hospitals of its type available anywhere in the NHS right here in Hertfordshire. It is a real tribute to our staff, local politicians and the public in general that we have been able to attract such significant investment into the county.”
Share this page
There are no comments for this article, be the first to comment!
Post your comment
Only registered users can comment. Fill in your e-mail address for quick registration.
Title: Green light for £72m rebuild of Lister Hospital in Stevenage
Author: Martine Hamilton
Article Id: 19362
Date Added: 5th Aug 2011