Log In
Thursday 27th June 2019

Hospital food testers fall ill

27th April 2011

A probe is under way to determine why staff testing hospital food became ill and had to be treated in A&E.


Raigmore Hospital in Inverness was in the process of trialling a new range of meals when nine catering staff and one supplier became unwell.

Staff were reported to have experienced temporary blindness and facial swelling after touching food packaging.

An environmental health investigation has begun, which will examine why the range of pureed food - made for people who have problems swallowing - caused illness.

Food supplier apetito is the manufacturer of the products.

A source at the hospital said: "Apparently it was dreadful. Some had lost their vision because their eyes were so swollen, they couldn’t open them."

"It took a while for their sight to come back. It must have been frightening."

Other staff members said they suffered terrible itching and inflammation.

A spokeswoman for Highland Council said: “It is not yet clear what has caused this but we, along with our food supplier, are investigating thoroughly."

"The food never entered the food chain at the hospital so there was no danger of patients being affected."

"Due to the symptoms displayed by staff, we do not believe it to be food-related. We’re expecting the test results at the end of the week."


Share this page


There are no comments for this article, be the first to comment!

Post your comment

Only registered users can comment. Fill in your e-mail address for quick registration.

Your email address:

Your comment will be checked by a Healthcare Today moderator before it is published on the site.

Mayden - Innovative cloud-based web development for the healthcare sector
© Mayden Foundation 2019