Log In
Monday 24th October 2016

'I'm sorry' says Hewitt

3rd April 2007

Health secretary, Patricia Hewitt has apologised to junior doctors for the ‘terrible anxiety' caused by a new online recruiting scheme.


The online system for selecting doctors has come under fire by medics who say it is failing to shortlist the best candidates leaving many would-be specialist doctors without an interview for a job.  Ms Hewitt said she regretted the anxiety caused in the execution of the Modernising Medical Careers (MMC) reforms which were designed to enhance the application process for junior doctors applying for specialist positions.  Ms Hewitt said that she felt the actual system was not to blame but that the implementation of it had been at fault.  "The short listing process didn't work. We are in the process of sorting it out and we are now guaranteeing every junior doctor an interview for the speciality of their choice," she said.

The head of MMC, Professor Alan Crockard, recently resigned over the chaos caused by the new system which doctors say has left thousands of junior medics without any interview for a job at the end of their training.  Doctors say the application forms are badly worded and do not allow them to list their qualifications and experience.  There is also no facility enabling applicants to attach a CV which has left many highly skilled practitioners without a job to go to.

The government has now promised junior doctors a guaranteed interview but they have responded by saying it is "unacceptable" for doctors previously offered two or more interviews to now settle for just one.


Share this page


There are no comments for this article, be the first to comment!

Post your comment

Only registered users can comment. Fill in your e-mail address for quick registration.

Your email address:

Your comment will be checked by a Healthcare Today moderator before it is published on the site.

M3 - For secure managed hosting over N3 or internet
© Mayden Foundation 2016