FAQ
Log In
Sunday 25th September 2016
News
 › 
 › 

Nappy sack warning

3rd February 2012

The NHS has launched a campaign to highlight the risk of nappy sacks suffocating babies. 

babyfeeding1

It comes after the deaths of two babies in Cornwall and the worries voiced by coroner Dr Emma Carlyon.

It is understood that 11 babies have died over the last decade because they suffocated after pulling a nappy sack over their faces.

The new campaign will issue a tool kit - made up of posters, leaflets and a DVD - to public health teams in order to enable them to carry out the campaign in their locations.

Campaign founder Beth Beynon, from the Cornwall Primary Care Trust, said babies naturally grabbed onto objects and pulled them close to their mouths, but were unable to push them away.

She explained: "We started to look to see if this had happened anywhere else, and we found that over the last 10 years there had been up to 11 cases where young babies had died in similar circumstances.

"If we can take this campaign out to communities and reach parents, grandparents and carers we will have achieved one giant step towards preventing any more babies from needlessly dying."

Dr Julia Harvey, a consultant community paediatrician for the Royal Cornwall Hospital, said: "Newborn babies and babies up to six months of age do have primitive reflexes which are involuntary muscles movements, that are controlled by the central nervous system, but they have no conscious thought involved." 

 

Share this page

Comments

There are no comments for this article, be the first to comment!


Post your comment

Only registered users can comment. Fill in your e-mail address for quick registration.

Your email address:

Your comment will be checked by a Healthcare Today moderator before it is published on the site.

Mayden - Innovative cloud-based web development for the healthcare sector
© Mayden Foundation 2016