FAQ
Log In
Thursday 22nd February 2018
News
 › 
 › 

Pen still works 25 years after being swallowed

21st December 2011

Doctors at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital Foundation Trust removed a pen from the stomach of a 76-year-old woman 25 years after she swallowed it by accident.

The find only came to light after the woman visited her doctor suffering from weight loss and diarrhoea and when questioned, remembered she had used a felt-tip pen to poke her tonsils and had fallen forward off a step and swallowed it. The pen, highlighted in a CT scan, had not caused her any gastric damage but the medical team decided to remove it as a precaution.

 

Share this page

Comments

There are no comments for this article, be the first to comment!


Post your comment

Only registered users can comment. Fill in your e-mail address for quick registration.

Your email address:

Your comment will be checked by a Healthcare Today moderator before it is published on the site.

Article Information

Title: Pen still works 25 years after being swallowed
Author: Mark Nicholls
Article Id: 20650
Date Added: 21st Dec 2011

Sources

Recent Related Articles

Contingency plans for trusts after Carillion collapse

Time to Change poll finds mental health still taboo in the workplace

Thousands spent to find chief executive who left after four months

Actions

Add to scrapbook
Show Comments
Add comment
Find all related articles

Tags

M3 - For secure managed hosting over N3 or internet
© Mayden Foundation 2018