Poisoning linked to oysters9th September 2006
Two people have died of suspected poisoning linked to oysters, and the authorities have extended a ban on sales.
Both victims, aged 77 and 61, had eaten oysters from the Bay of Arcachon, which is one of the most prestigious oyster-growing regions in the world. The deaths have caused turmoil amongst the oyster farmers there, who have urged the State to speed up post-mortem tests on the victims in the hope that their produce will be cleared from suspicion.
The two victims died from apparent toxic shock. Marine experts believe toxic algae levels have been increasing. However, farmers blame â€œexcessiveâ€? EU health tests for bans on selling oysters.
Share this page
There are no comments for this article, be the first to comment!
Post your comment
Only registered users can comment. Fill in your e-mail address for quick registration.
Title: Poisoning linked to oysters
Author: Sue Knights
Article Id: 764
Date Added: 9th Sep 2006