FAQ
Log In
Friday 9th December 2016
News
 › 
 › 

Safety checks failure admitted

22nd March 2007

A hospital has admitted it failed to carry out adequate safety checks on its water system which led to the death of a patient.

legionnaires

Father-of-three Daryl Eyles, 37, died from Legionnaires' disease caught from a dirty showerhead at Bath's Royal United Hospital. He had just been given the all clear from leukaemia and was due to go home that day. He died a week later.

The court heard that inspections were not carried out regularly enough to ensure correct water temperatures and measures taken to ensure water could not stagnate, or allow insects access to water tanks.

Money which had been earmarked for improvements had been siphoned off to other areas of the hospital.

Bath Magistrates' Court has now referred the case to Bristol Crown Court as magistrates felt their sentencing powers were not enough.

The trust accepted liability in October 2004 and has since reached a settlement in response to the family's claim.

Share this page

Comments

There are no comments for this article, be the first to comment!


Post your comment

Only registered users can comment. Fill in your e-mail address for quick registration.

Your email address:

Your comment will be checked by a Healthcare Today moderator before it is published on the site.

Mayden - Innovative cloud-based applications for healthcare
© Mayden Foundation 2016