Salmonella blamed on cuts16th July 2007
Birmingham Crown Court has heard how Cadbury made changes to its quality checks and allowed salmonella into its chocolate products.
Salmonella was discovered in Cadbury's chocolate bars between January and March 2006. The company issued a recall on one million bars on 23 June.
Cadbury have said they are responsible for the infection and subsequent illness of 30 people who ate the products. The court was told that some people who ate the infected products became seriously ill and required hospital treatment.
Changes to the way products were assessed had been introduced by the company as part of a cost saving exercise. The firm has submitted a guilty plea for the contravention of health and safety standards which caused the problem.
The court was told that Cadbury brought in an "allowable tolerance level" at its Herefordshire factory.
The company has also issued an apology for not recogising that a leaking pipe at its Malbrook plant presented a danger to health.
Barry Berlin, prosecuting Cadbury on behalf of Birmingham City Council, criticised the firm's change to its quality control testing in 2003.
He said: "There is no dispute that there is a linkage between the chocolate that was distributed by Cadbury and the poisoning that took place later on."
The company is also facing prosecution by Herefordshire Council, as the bars came originally from its factory near Leominister.
A spokesman for the company offered the company's "sincere regrets and apologies" and said: "the process we followed in the UK in this instance has been shown to be unacceptable."
Share this page
There are no comments for this article, be the first to comment!
Post your comment
Only registered users can comment. Fill in your e-mail address for quick registration.
Title: Salmonella blamed on cuts
Author: Jess Laurence
Article Id: 3478
Date Added: 16th Jul 2007