Three new foundation trusts authorised by Monitor2nd March 2010
Monitor, the independent regulator of NHS foundation trusts, has confirmed the following foundation trusts will be authorised from 1 March 2010:
- 5 Boroughs Partnership NHS Foundation Trust;
- Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust; and
- South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust.
The announcement means there are now 129 NHS foundation trusts in total, of which 40 are mental health NHS foundation trusts.
Having achieved NHS foundation trust status these trusts will benefit from a variety of new freedoms:
- they are free from central government control and are able to decide how to improve their services;
- they can retain any surpluses they generate to invest in new services, and can borrow money to support these investments; and
- they are accountable to their local communities; local people can become members and governors.
These freedoms mean NHS foundation trusts can better shape their healthcare services around local needs and priorities and the requirements of their primary care trusts
Share this page
There are no comments for this article, be the first to comment!
Post your comment
Only registered users can comment. Fill in your e-mail address for quick registration.
Title: Three new foundation trusts authorised by Monitor
Author: Martine Hamilton
Article Id: 14221
Date Added: 2nd Mar 2010