Log In
Thursday 27th October 2016

Tony Nicklinson has passed away

23rd August 2012

A man with locked-in syndrome who fought through the courts for the right to die has passed away.


Tony Nicklinson, 58, who was paralysed from the neck down after suffering a stroke in 2005, lost his battle in the High Court last week for doctors to be allowed to end his life.

He has refused food since then and earlier this week died with his wife, Jane, and two daughters, Lauren and Beth, beside him after he developed pneumonia.

Mr Nicklinson's family solicitor Saimo Chahal said: “Jane said that, after Tony received the draft judgment on 12 August refusing his claim, the fight seemed to go out of him.

“He said that he was heartbroken by the High Court decision that he could not end his life at a time of his choosing with the help of a new doctor. He could not understand how the legal argument on his behalf could not succeed.”

Mr Nicklinson had been paralysed since suffering a stroke while on a business trip to Athens and had campaigned for the law to be changed to allow doctors to assist his suicide without fear of prosecution.

Described by friends as a man who would liven up a room before his strike, Mr Nicklinson said his life was a "living nightmare".

But three High Court judges rejected his plea for the law to be changed and said that it was an issue should be left to Parliament.

Legal experts say the case would continue to raise questions about a change in the law.


Share this page


There are no comments for this article, be the first to comment!

Post your comment

Only registered users can comment. Fill in your e-mail address for quick registration.

Your email address:

Your comment will be checked by a Healthcare Today moderator before it is published on the site.

Mayden - Innovative cloud-based applications for healthcare
© Mayden Foundation 2016