Log In
Friday 28th October 2016

Two paralysed by carrot juice

11th October 2006

Two people are paralysed after drinking botulism-contaminated carrot juice, some of which was still found on store shelves 10 days after a Canada-wide recall.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency on September 30 warned consumers not to drink Bolthouse Farms 100% Carrot Juice, Earthbound Farm Organic Carrot Juice and President's Choice Organics 100% Pure Carrot Juice, all of U.S. origin, "due to botulism concerns."

Canadian distributors immediately recalled the contaminated products. But the juice remained in a handful of stores, officials say. The two victims remain in hospital in serious condition, Govani said. Juice remaining in their carrot juice bottles was found to contain the botulism toxin.

Although contaminated products were distributed across the country, cases of the toxin have only been confirmed in Toronto.

Botulism can cause nausea, fatigue, double-vision, paralysis and respiratory failure. In severe cases, the toxin can be fatal. It can be treated with an antitoxin to prevent further paralysis, but any paralysis that has already occurred cannot be medically reversed.

Last month, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a warning linking four cases of botulism to carrot juice. The U.S. cases first appeared in September, with one woman in Florida suffering paralysis after drinking the juice.


Share this page


There are no comments for this article, be the first to comment!

Post your comment

Only registered users can comment. Fill in your e-mail address for quick registration.

Your email address:

Your comment will be checked by a Healthcare Today moderator before it is published on the site.

Mayden - Innovative cloud-based web development for the healthcare sector
© Mayden Foundation 2016